Both titles are equal in terms of qualification with reference to the Passive House relevant knowledge. The requirements for attaining this certificate and for renewal are also the same. The only difference between Certified Passive House Designers and Consultants depends on your background, as far as Designers come from highly relevant fields. Consultants, on the other hand, can come from any background. Normally, Passive House Designers work in planning offices on the concrete implementation of the Passive House Standard, while Passive House Consultants usually contribute to its dissemination through their work as researchers or speakers, or as decision makers in government authorities.
A clear classification is not always easy due to the diverse educational qualifications, professions and the legal provisions relating to buildings worldwide. For this reason, the Passive House Institute has specified two possibilities for classification as a “Certified Passive House Designer”:
- Providing proof of an educational qualification which enables you to plan buildings or technical building systems independently. This educational qualification should have reached a certain level (e.g. diploma or bachelor degree) and have been attained in a specialized subject which primarily involves the planning of buildings or building services systems.
- Providing proof of membership in an institution, whose members are entitled to provide planning services which are subject to approval by a building authority (e.g. Chamber of Architects).
You qualify for the Designer title if you have the following educational qualification:
- Architect or interior designer
- Civil or timber construction engineer
- Building physicist
- Building and energy technology engineer
- Building contractor
- Master carpenter
- Certified technician for structural engineering, building construction, heating plumbing and ventilation technology or supply technology
If you have the following educational qualification, you qualify for the Consultant title:
- Degree in (analytical) chemistry, electrical engineering or manufacturing engineering
- Engineering degree in environmental technology and resource management
- Construction industry environmental safety technician
- Environmental engineer
- Gas, plumbing and ventilation systems technician
- Woodwork technician
- Certified technician for electronics
- Energy consultant
- Architectural draftsman
- Woodwork technician for window installation
- Managing director
- Property sales manager/estate agent
Note: You just have to provide a copy of the proof to your course/examination host or assessing body. The attained Consultant title can be changed into the Designer title, if such proof is only obtained and submitted later on (e.g. taking an examination during training). If no proof is submitted, the Consultant title will be granted upon successful qualification.